about me

I'm an Irish guy living in France. I like music, books, creative writing, art, history, vegetarianism, people, and chocolate.

blog roll

Why not check out these links?


Search

Saturday 3 January 2009

Camera Obscura


During the summer I listened to a lot of Nick Drake, but the band that most punctuated my year was, without a doubt, Belle & Sebastian. But for the past few months there's been another band competing for my attention : Camera Obscura. I heard one of their songs, I Love My Jean, as I was listening to one of Deezer's radios one day, and for a while I thought I was listening to an early B&S song. Wikipedia promptly informed me that Camera Obscura is an indie pop band from... Glascow. Just like Belle. I also read on some music blog that Stuart Murdoch helped produce their first album, Biggest Bluest Hi Fi (2001) but I'm not sure if that's true or not. But despite this connection, Camera Obscura don't sound merely like a Belle & Sebastian cover band.
Biggest Bluest Hi Fi is the album I like best so far, but they've issued two other good ones since (Underachievers Please Try Harder, 2003, and Let's Get Out Of This Country, 2006), as well as a number of singles (including a "cover" of Robert Burn's song,A red, red rose).
I'll be keeping an eye on this terrific wee band during 2009...

No comments:



Emerald Champagne

rambling on...

Theme Modified by me and licenced under MIT License

Your Blog Title | feed

5ThirtyOne and Blogger Templates design | Top